Position Available: Library Director Full-time Anticipated start June 2019 rev. 4/22/19
The Board of Trustees of the Fred & Harriett Taylor Memorial Library in Hammondsport, NY seeks an energetic, innovative and community-oriented director with proven leadership and supervisory skills. The successful candidate should have the passion, vision and motivation required to lead the library in the “Coolest Small Town in America”.
The library is located in the heart of the Finger Lakes, on Keuka Lake in the historic village of Hammondsport, home to award winning wineries and two renowned museums.
Chartered in 1938, the library built a beautiful new 10,000 sq. ft. facility in 2007. As part of the Southern Tier Library System, the Taylor Library houses over 50,000 materials, serves as a vibrant community learning and enrichment center, offers over 200 adult and children’s programs annually and has a well-established early literacy program for preschoolers and their caretakers. The library prides itself on providing excellent customer service with free and equal public access to all educational and arts-related resources and programs.
The Library Director is the chief executive of the library, reporting to a Board of Trustees.
All staff positions (3 part-time) are civil service appointments.
- Supervising daily operations with an emphasis on high quality customer service
- Managing 4 part-time and 28 volunteer staff. All paid staff are civil service positions.
- Planning, resourcing and implementing programs for 21st century learners of all ages
- Establishing collaborative partnerships with local educational & arts centers
- Recommending, developing and following policies and procedures
- Being actively involved in seeking fund raising opportunities and funding sources.
- Understanding the unique qualities of our community
- Developing the annual budget
- A vision for the future of small public libraries
- knowledge of library principles, practices and trends through professional development
- creative program ideas for all age groups
- commitment to staying well-informed on technology, legal, financial and other relevant library issues
- ability to use all aspects of technology as it can be creatively applied to library programs and use
- an understanding of collaborative personnel management
- ability to analyze data and make decisions, recommendations and prepare reports
- excellent verbal and written communications skills
- a passion for the tasks at hand
- strong customer service skills.
- Required: Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college and 3-5 years of administrative/supervisory experience.
- Preferred: Master’s Degree in Library Science
Compensation: Commensurate with experience and skills
To apply: Send a cover letter and resume via e-mail to: email@example.com or by US Mail to:
Search Committee, Fred & Harriett Taylor Memorial Library, PO Box 395, Hammondsport, NY 14840
Applications will close Friday, May 10, 2019