Position Available: Library Director Part Time up to 30 hours per week /Anticipated start June, 2019
The Board of Trustees of the Fred & Harriett Taylor Memorial Library in Hammondsport, NY seeks an energetic, innovative and community-oriented director with proven leadership and supervisory skills. The successful candidate should have the passion and motivation required to lead the library in the “Coolest Small Town in America”.
The library is located in the Finger Lakes, on Keuka Lake in the historic village of Hammondsport, heart of the NY wine country and home to two renowned museums.
Chartered in 1938, the library built a beautiful new 10,000 sq. ft. facility in 2007. As part of the Southern Tier Library System, the Taylor Library houses over 50,000 materials, serves as a vibrant community learning and enrichment center, offers over 200 adult and children’s programs annually and has a well-established early literacy program for preschoolers and their caretakers. The library prides itself on providing excellent customer service with free and equal public access to all arts-related resources and programs.
All staff positions (3 part-time) are civil service appointments. The Library Director is the chief executive of the library, reporting to a Board of Trustees.
- Supervising daily operations with high quality services
- Planning and implementing projects
- Recommending, developing and following policies and procedures
- Providing creative guidance and direction
- Being actively involved in seeking fund raising opportunities.
- Implementing the Strategic Plan
- Engaging in public relations
- Understanding the unique qualities of our community
- Developing the annual budget
- Establishing collaborative partnerships with local educational & arts centers
Required: Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college and 3-5 years of administrative/supervisory experience.
Preferred: Master’s Degree in Library Science
- knowledge of library principles, practices and trends through professional development
- commitment to staying well-informed on technology, legal, financial and other relevant library issues
- ability to analyze data and make decisions, recommendations and prepare reports
- excellent verbal and written communications skills
- a passion for the tasks at hand
- an understanding of collaborative personnel management including the creation of and supervision of a strong volunteer team (28+ volunteers)
- strong customer service skills.
Compensation: Salary commensurate with qualifications and experience.
To apply: Send a cover letter and resume via e-mail to: email@example.com Or, by US Mail to:
Search Committee, Fred & Harriett Taylor Memorial Library, PO Box 395 Hammondsport, NY 14840
Applications will close Friday, March 29, 2019.